Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I got to spend the afternoon with my Pops today to celebrate Father's Day. The is the second time in two years that I was able to do that. Last year was different, because I was just visiting and we spent most of the day with his girlfriend's family. This year, it was just the two of us most of the day. We invited his girlfriend along, but she bowed out, allowing us to spend time together. Our plans didn't involve anything incredibly special, but I took him out to lunch and to a movie.

In between, we stopped and visited Juanita, a sweet little old lady he adopted and visits on a regular basis. Today she asked me, "Do you just not want to get married?" The question caught me a little off guard, but I thought about it for a few seconds and replied, "It's my Dad's fault I'm not married." They both looked surprised by my answer and I explained, "I've never met anyone who loves me or cares for me the way he does, and until I do, I'm gonna stay single."

It was kind of an off-the-cuff reply, but after I thought about it, I realized how true it was. I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day!

No comments: